NBBF: Tension As Kida Faces ICPC Investigation
By Niyi Busari
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has requested for documents to enable it carry out investigation on the activities of Nigeria basketball in the last four years, BSN sports.com.ng can report.
This is contained in a letter from the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development to the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) titled: “Re: Notice of Investigation/Request For Documents, dated October 7, 2021 and signed by Ekanem Benedict on behalf of the Permanent Secretary which reads in part, “I am directed to inform you that the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) is requesting for documents to enable it carry out investigation on your Federation from January 2017 till date.
“I am further directed to request you to provide all the record of sponsorship agreement/documents you entered into by your Federation from January 2017 till date. You are also directed to forward the above mentioned documents to the FEAD Department of the Ministry before close of work on Friday for onward transmission to ICPC.”
Recall that D’Tigress in a recent video that went viral accused the outgoing board of diverting monies meant for them and vowed not to show up for the World Cup qualifiers coming up in February next year unless the outstanding owed by the Kida-led NBBF are paid. The African champions claimed that the $100,000 donated to the team before the Olympics by three banks namely, GTB, Zenith and Access banks have not been given to them.
In the video made available to BSN Sports, they listed monies they were being owed since the Chairman Caretaker Committee of the NBBF assumed office in 2017;
– $500 each player for FIBA World Cup players / officials,.
– $1000 each for finishing in the FIBA world cup final 8, $1000 each for winning Afrobasket in Senegal 2019 players/officials
– $300-$400 Mozambique Olympic qualifier allowance balance were supposed to be paid $100 per day players/officials
– $2000 training grants for Olympics games in Tokyo players only
– $100,000 donations by 3 Nigeria banks to all the players and officials that make the D’Tigress Olympic possible final roster or not. ( the men also has $100,000 assigned to them, total $200,000) thank you zenith, access and guaranty trust bank
– Miscellaneous expense by players and officials the full breakdown has been submitted to the outgoing president and Hon. minister Sunday Dare.
Musa Kida is seeking re-election as president of the Nigeria Basketball Federation and just last Saturday at the Extra-Ordinary Congress in Abuja, the election date is scheduled for October 30, 2021 in Benin, Edo State.