- by Niyi Busari ,
- Nov 06, 2025
null
Atlético Face Wage Dilemma in Pursuit of Osimhen as Barcelona Monitor Situation
By Our Reporter
Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen has addressed growing transfer speculation linking him with Spanish giants FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid ahead of the summer window, BSNSports.com.ng reports.
The 27-year-old, currently starring for Galatasaray, recently stated that he considers himself among the top three strikers in world football — a claim supported by his prolific record in Turkey. Since arriving from SSC Napoli, Osimhen has registered 52 goals and 10 assists in 64 appearances for the Istanbul-based side.
Former Arsenal FC forward Thierry Henry has publicly urged Barcelona to pursue the Nigerian international, insisting the Catalan club require an established, elite No. 9.
“Barcelona need a real number nine — a top-level striker,” Henry said. “I am referring to formidable scorers such as Victor Osimhen, Erling Haaland or Harry Kane. Proven finishers, not prospects.”
Earlier in the season, Real Madrid CF were also credited with interest in Osimhen amid uncertainty surrounding Vinícius Júnior’s contract situation. However, that speculation has since cooled, particularly following managerial changes at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Atlético Madrid, meanwhile, remain attentive to the striker’s situation, especially with Julián Álvarez reportedly considering a return to the Premier League. Spanish outlet Fichajes claims manager Diego Simeone is keen to bring Osimhen to the Riyadh Air Metropolitano.
Barcelona are likewise expected to explore attacking reinforcements. Veteran striker Robert Lewandowski is nearing the end of his current deal, while Ferran Torres has yet to establish himself as a consistent solution in Hansi Flick’s forward line.
Despite mounting interest, prising Osimhen away from Galatasaray may prove difficult. According to Turkish outlet Elipshaber, the striker and his camp are settled in Istanbul and not actively seeking a move. Osimhen is said to be focused on helping Galatasaray compete strongly in the UEFA Champions League while continuing their domestic success.
Financial considerations could also complicate any potential transfer. The Nigerian reportedly earns approximately €14 million annually — a salary that exceeds Atlético Madrid’s current wage structure. The club’s financial model, introduced to ensure long-term stability after costly past investments, leaves little room for such expenditure without significant adjustments.
As a result, any move to Atlético would likely require Osimhen to accept a substantial pay reduction — a scenario that, at present, appears uncertain.
With the summer window approaching, Osimhen’s future remains one of the most closely watched storylines in European football.
0 Comments:
Leave a Reply