- by Niyi Busari ,
- May 22, 2026
DR Congo national team
DR Congo Faces Risk Of Missing 2026 FIFA World Cup Over Ebola Protocols
By Our Reporter
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) risks missing the 2026 FIFA World Cup if it fails to fully comply with strict health and travel protocols introduced in response to an ongoing Ebola outbreak in the country, BSNSports.com.ng reports.
According to reports, the Congolese national team is scheduled to arrive in Houston, Texas, on June 11 ahead of its opening Group stage match against Portugal on June 17. However, tournament and U.S. authorities have mandated that the team complete a 21-day controlled isolation period before entering the United States.
As part of the health measures, the squad is required to remain within a closely monitored training “bubble” during its preparation camp in Europe, particularly in Belgium, where the team is currently based.
Officials overseeing the arrangements have warned that any breach of the containment measures could jeopardise DR Congo’s participation in the tournament.
Andrew Giuliani, Executive Director of the White House World Cup Task Force, said consultations had already been held with FIFA, officials of the DR Congo Football Federation, and government representatives to ensure full compliance with the health framework.
“We have been very explicit that the team must remain within its controlled environment for 21 days before travelling to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani said in remarks to ESPN.
He stressed that maintaining the integrity of the isolation process was essential and warned that failure to comply with the requirements could lead to travel restrictions preventing the team from entering the United States.
According to Giuliani, the measures are aimed at safeguarding all participants and preventing any potential spread of infection during the tournament.
He also noted that all interactions involving the team must be carefully managed to avoid compromising the containment system, warning that even a suspected case linked to the squad’s travel arrangements could affect clearance for participation.
Despite the strict protocols, the DR Congo Football Federation has indicated that the team’s planned international friendlies will proceed as scheduled.
The Congolese side is expected to face Denmark in Liège on June 3 before taking on Chile in Cádiz a few days later as part of its World Cup preparations.
However, the fixtures have raised questions over how the team intends to maintain the required isolation conditions while travelling for the matches.
A representative of the federation confirmed that adjustments had already been made to the team’s preparation plans, including the cancellation of a proposed visit to Kinshasa, in order to comply with the health guidelines.
0 Comments:
Leave a Reply