Thursday, February 19, 2026

NPFL: Match Officials, Rivers United GM Attacked After Dramatic Draw In Ilorin


NPFL:

Rivers United General Manager Okey Kpalukwu receiving treatment at the stadium after the attacked

Match Officials, Rivers United GM Attacked After Dramatic Draw In Ilorin

By Niyi Busari 

Violence broke out on Wednesday following a Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) fixture between Kwara United and Rivers United after home supporters attacked match officials and prevented the whole team from leaving the stadium, BSNSports.com.ng reports.

In a 7-second video circulated on social media, Rivers United General Manager, Okey Kpalukwu was also attacked with blood gushing out on his face.

Tensions escalated in stoppage time when Rivers United forward David Sholumade scored in the 90+3 minute to cancel out an earlier goal by Kwara United striker Mohammed Shamsudeen, who had given the hosts a 32nd-minute lead.

According to eyewitness accounts, anger among sections of the home crowd intensified immediately after the final whistle. Supporters reportedly breached restricted areas and confronted the referee and assistant referees, accusing them of allowing what they described as a controversial equaliser.

Fans alleged that Kwara United goalkeeper Suraju Ayeleso had been fouled in the build-up to the goal. Protesters were seen throwing chairs and bottled water, while others reportedly attempted to physically assault match officials amid heated protests over the decision.

Security personnel were said to have struggled to contain the disturbance as the situation deteriorated rapidly inside the stadium.

Sources also indicated that aggrieved supporters laid siege to the stadium’s main exit for more than 30 minutes after the match, apparently waiting for the officials as well as Rivers United players and team staff to emerge. The visiting delegation was effectively confined within the facility as tensions remained high.

Witnesses attributed the escalation to what they described as inadequate security arrangements, claiming that fewer than 20 police officers were deployed to manage a crowd estimated at around 5,000 spectators.

“The security presence was too small for a match of this magnitude. The policemen were overwhelmed,” one source familiar with the incident said.

As of the time of reporting, there were no confirmed fatalities. However, the extent of injuries to match officials or players remains unclear.

The NPFL organisers and relevant security authorities had yet to release an official statement on the incident, which is expected to renew scrutiny over crowd control measures, stadium security protocols and enforcement of league regulations in Nigerian football.

Niyi
author

Niyi Busari

Niyi Busari is the Publisher, CEO of BSN Sports Concept.

0 Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

you may also read